Tuesday, February 18, 2020
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Location: Community First Foundation
5855 Wadsworth Bypass, Arvada, CO 80003
Unpacking A Nonprofit’s Financial Story for Strategic Grantmaking
To make good decisions, philanthropic leaders not only need accurate, up-to-date, and clear financial information, but also the ability to interpret and use this data to inform decisions. The workshop will focus on equipping funders with the tools and language to assess a nonprofit’s financial health in a holistic way.
In this peer-learning workshop, participants will:
- Consider the operating environment of nonprofits
- Reflect on ways in which equity and access impact a nonprofit’s financial performance and how to interpret financial data within this context
- Build core skills in using financial statements to uncover an organization’s financial story, including how to assess and communicate a nonprofit’s financial condition. This will include key metrics and indicators of financial health, as well as application to different types of nonprofit financial statements
- Learn how to surface the right questions
- Discuss ways to turn a deeper understanding of the organization’s financial story and context into more strategic grantmaking
Content will be relevant for funders with a range of backgrounds, from new program officers to foundation CEOs. The workshop will be taught by two NFF experts with experience in funder training/education and grantmaking consultation.
Participants can expect to develop a shared vocabulary, leaving the session better prepared to “speak with one voice” as Colorado funders, armed with a shared language that is consistent with the training and best practices local nonprofits are receiving. Participants will also leave with resources they can refer to and share with colleagues following the program.
Breakfast, Lunch and course materials will be provided.
Philanthropy Colorado Member registration: $595 (Please note the registration price is necessary to cover various costs including instructor fees and travel, breakfast and lunch, as well as course materials.)