Connecting People Who Care
with Causes that Matter
What is a Community Foundation?
A community foundation is a place-based charitable institution that serves as an umbrella organization holding multiple funds and providing financial support in the form of grants to nonprofits and scholarships to students. A community foundation is built up over many years, by and for the people who live in a particular community or region, to address needs and support opportunities to improve the quality of life there. Most, but not all funds are permanent endowments, providing financial support for good, forever, for the community.
The Western Colorado Community Foundation (WCCF) works with community-minded donors who share a connection with western Colorado, the place we are privileged to call home. WCCF is a collection of many different charitable funds – over 300 – each separately accounted for and with its own purpose as described by the donors who establish the funds. Through these funds, WCCF annually awards over $4 million in grants and scholarships throughout the seven counties we serve.
A Focus on Service
A high degree of personalized service for donors differentiates community foundations from other philanthropic options. WCCF’s Executive Director and Director of Development and Major Gifts routinely work with families and professional advisers to design charitable legacy plans that fit every situation and donor preference, ensuring that our donors receive the most benefit from their charitable contributions. Program staff conduct research, analysis, and site visits to ensure that philanthropic dollars are well-spent and in accordance with donor directives.
Top 10 Reasons People Give Through our Community Foundation
- We are a local organization governed by local leaders with deep roots in the community.
- We offer broad expertise regarding community issues and needs.
- We offer highly personalized service tailored to your charitable and financial interests.
- We help donors invest in the causes they care about most.
- We can accept a wide variety of assets and provide assistance with complex gifts.
- We partner with professional advisors to create highly effective approaches to charitable giving.
- We offer the maximum tax advantage for most gifts under state and federal law.
- We multiply the impact of gift dollars by pooling them with other gifts and grants.
- We build endowment funds that benefit the community for generations to come.
- We support community leadership and resources to address problems and create positive change.